Tuesday, August 18, 2009

WIKIPedia a homework tool

I have been searching various topics in WIKIpedia, such as teaching resources, education, etc. and found that there is certainly alot out there that I had no idea about! I was pondering how WIKIPedia could be used outside of the classroom when I thought that since there is so much out there, an ideal homework task for children would be to search a given topic on wikipedia and present their findings on a PowerPoint. This would incorporate research, note taking, putting information into their own words and PowerPoint use for the students, which could potentially help improve their independent study skills, IT and typing skills as well as creativity used in the powerpoint. This is only one example of a task where students could use WIKIPedia.

Teachers could even use WIKIPedia to reach their students. If teachers establish an account, they give students links to sites that they would like the students to explore, such as relavant articles, pictures, sounds, lists, portals, timelines etc. These resources could potentailly support teaching if used correctly.

Another example, for an older class studying history, students could be given the link (alternatively the teacher could post the link on their WIKI) to visit. Students can then explore the history dates at their own pace, or teachers can even print and hand out the timelines in class. This link shows a modern history timeline that could potentially be used in a teaching environment;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_anniversaries

Overall, after much research I have come to the conclusion that WIKIPedia is a fantastic site with lot's of potential for use as a teaching resource both in and out of the classroom.

Carissa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment