Monday, August 17, 2009

Voki Avatars - educational use

Hey everyone,

I have been experimenting with a website called Voki, which is a free website that allows people to create avatars and instruct them to speak. There are several avatars, voices, backgrounds, etc. and I found it quite interesting to experiment with these things.

I made an avatar, which was a pig explaining how to use Google. This was just to show how avatars can be used to explain processes and instructions. I beleive avatars could be a useful resource for teachers as the avatars capitvate and hold the students attention. Teachers could use Avatars to explain tasks for students, possibly sent out in an email with the students homework. Children would be amused by animals such as monkeys and pigs explaining their homework task!

Not only would it help students who have trouble reading the homework tasks and need the extra guidance with their pronnounciation of words, but students wouold also have fun experimenting with the avatars themselves. Teachers could get children to use an avatar to explain something they enjoy doing, such as how to hula hoops or how to play soccer.

I encourage all learners or to-be-teachers to check out the Voki site and explore its potential as a classroom resource, as it would definately engage students rahter than enraging them.

Carissa :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree when you say how fun this technology is to use. I had so much fun making mine and I feel students would be totally engaged also, however I think we would have to be careful what voice we used because some of them are a little hard to understand.
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete