Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Google-Earth great for learners!

Although I was aware of Google Earth prior to this course, I have never thought of it in an educational way prior to this course. After exploring it again with a fresh mind, I have found that it would be a great tool for learners. Although there is the standard globe to show students the world, its viewing is limited compared to Google Earth. It does not allow students to zoom in and out, zooming in so close that cars and people can be seen. Also, the layers are not there. Distance education students also miss out on seeing the world and gaining that perception of its volume and space, as many would not have globe access at home. By using google earth, every individual student has the world right in front of them, can turn to any place in the world and zoom in close enough to see people. They can navigate through the streets and turn a full 360 degrees, which really engages the students as they find this interesting. Teachers can use this in the classroom and get students to find different locations, which would give them a better perception of the area and create spacial awareness for students. This is a great learning tool that prior to this course, I thought was purely for enjoyment! It is interesting how by looking at the same thing in a different perspective, so much can be learnt.

Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment